It’s me, coming at you this cold winter with some of my hot favourites! (See what I did there?) So, seeing as so many Cape Town days have been so very cold, I have turned to my beloved Netflix, Hulu and Showmax. I decided to share my current top 5 binge-worthy shows AND why I love them♥
Are any of these your favourites? Let me know!
5. New Girl
146 episodes in total. Countless laughs, the odd tear here and there and of course a plentiful of inside jokes. That is what the 7 seven seasons of New Girl will give you.
One of my die-hard favourite shows that finally came to an end in Season 7. If you haven’t watched it yet, I won’t spoil it for you! All I will say is- grab your popcorn and settle in for a comedy binge with well thought out characters, hilarious dialogue and endless laughs.
4. How to Get Away With Murder
Ah another masterpiece from Shonda Rhimes. Enough Scandal (Yeah I went there) to keep you on the edge of your seat. What I really love about this series are the characters who, as with all Shonda productions, are well thought out and developed.
The storyline has so many twists and turns that you can’t help but sit on the edge of your seat, waiting for baited breath for that next episode. The means of storytelling in this show is amazing with flashbacks and flashfowards making for really interesting episodes.
OH and how can I even forget, HAIL QUEEN Viola Davis. A vision to all strong, successful women of colour killing it in this world.
Don’t let me waste anymore of your time! With 4 seasons and counting, it will be well worth your time!
3. Jane the Virgin
This is a show I never ever would have found if it hadn’t been for one of my best friends who suggested it after another one of my favourites – The Handmaids Tale- came to a season end.
If you aren’t familiar with Telenovela’s, let me give you the lowdown.
Think Days of our Lives meets Comedy Central. Yep. Exactly that. With a ton more laughs, current pop culture references that will leave you ugly laughing (you know the snorting kind of laugh that no one should ever hear) and of course the most lovable characters- this is a definite must watch if you are into comedies that will hit you in the feels.
2. Orange is the New Black
Right so besides the fact that OITNB pretty much BEGS us to binge their show (because they release the entire season at one go) there are so many reasons to love this show. Let me list three.
- The story behind the show. The show is actually loosely based (not the exact happenings from the overall idea) on the real life experience of Piper Kerman who served just over a year in 1998.
- The setting. Not only is it incredibly interested to set a television show in a prison (where the occupants are not trying to escape…yeah I am looking at you Scofield), but it makes for incredibly dramatic storytelling and real emotional moments.
- The strong female leads. Yes, although these women in the prison are criminals, they are also so much more. With OITNB, you get the chance to meet mothers, grandmothers, single parents, recovering substance abusers and so much more.
Looking for a MASSIVE binge with eye candy galore? Ya girl got you covered!
With 287 episodes currently out and sitting at around 40 minutes an episode…you got around 11 480 minutes or rather 191.3 hours of googling and oogling ahead of you. BUT really suave lead characters aside, here is why Supernatural made it to the #1 spot on my list.
- Every episode is set in a different location with a different narrative. So whilst the main characters are the main characters and the overall season story carries on, each episode stands alone. This is great because you NEVER get bored as every episode, there is something different to look forward to.
- The Easter Eggs. As a series watcher who enjoys the little snippets of dialogue and inserted references to either pop culture or other shows- this is the best show for that. The writers are constantly engaging with current shows, affairs and culture and working them into the show in the smartest of ways.
- The overall magic. So as the title suggests, Supernatural is all about the extra-ordinary. Imagine Buffy meets Abercrombie & Fitch models. I love the escape from the ordinary but with REAL emotions still intact.
If you haven’t watched an episode, just give it a go. I promise you, you won’t regret it. The show has been running since 2005, so they must be doing something right 😉
Have any other suggestions to the above? Do you love any of these shows as much as I do? Let me know in the comments!
To stay up to date with my latest content, please don’t forget to subscribe and follow me on my social media channels!